How Lewisham Seventh-Day Adventist Church came to existence
The site that our church now occupies has had an interesting history. It was built on the gardens of a building called “The Priory”.
The Priory was the home of John Thackeray, who built and endowed Thackeray’s almshouses in 1840 in order to provide rest for ‘6 aged females’.
The location of our building was originally the stable block and was constructed in 1898.
The building was called “Heathville”.
The first owner of the building was Walter Charles Smith, who was a licenced publican.
It was one of a pair of semi-detached houses called ‘The Accacias’.
By 1912 it became the YMCA.
In 1934 the building closed and was sold to the Seventh-day Adventists.
The building then became known as ‘Lewisham Advent Church’.
Our first Pastor was Clifford Anderson and the churches first baptism took place in 1934.
Our pastors through time